We wish to report a crime to the An Garda Síochána against Mr. Robert Marren Solicitor Castle Street, Mullingar and Mr. Tony Henry, Tormeys Solicitors Castle Street, Athlone.
The facts are as follows;
Mr Marren Solicitor held on to our funds €82,500 each received from the land sale of our late brothers estate for nearly 2 years despite our repeated request for same to be distributed to us.
The funds he did finally award us were €12,500 plus interest less than what we were each entitled to.
Mr. Marren refused to award Michael Gavin the Grant Moneys paid down from the Department of Agriculture and monies for minding the estate animals for 9 years and instead of taking the matter before a Judge as he was requested to do, he closed the estate speedily over the Christmas period of 2014.
Mr Tony Henry of Tormeys Solicitors Athlone facilitated Mr. Marren by not undertaking the instructions given him on our behalf through another Solicitor John Glynn, namely to contact Mr. Marren immediately and prevent him closing in isolation to our objections.
There are numerous other abnormalities in the accounting of the Estate funds including
- Why was Willie Penrose TD BL not paid for his opinion when the Estate was charged for same?
- Why was John Glynn Solicitor not paid over €84,000 plus.
- Why was an additional accountant hired against our wishes at a cost of €8,751.45;
- Why has Mr. Marren not provided a “detailed Bill of Costs” for the fees of €40,892.53 awarded to himself, as he stated he would.
- Why were we not provided with a Bill of Cost for T & N McLynn, Solicitors, Athlone who we were informed was paid their handsome amount of €38,941.00 approximately a year prior closing.
We also take exception to the Bully Boy letter Tony Henry Tormeys Solicitors Athlone recently sent to Eileen.
My brother and I feel a grave injustice has been dealt to us that constitutes Elder Financial Abuse of the highest order.
We request that An Garda Síochána conduct a thorough investigation of the matter.
Please Support Michael Gavin Elderly 83 Year Old Irish Farmer by Signing Petition
Michael Gavins PetitionRead or edit the petition
Robert Marren Solicitor Questions
Robert Marren Solicitor Mullingar was the Solicitor appointed by the High Court to administer the Estate of Patrick Gavin.
Despite persistent requests there still remains a number of unanswered questions as follows:
Why did Robert Marren Solictor not pay 83 year old Michael Gavin the grant Monies paid down from the Department of Agriculture?
Why did Robert Marren Solicitor Castle Street Mullingar not compensate Michael Gavin for his work done and services rendered for looking after the Estate Animals for some 9 years?
Why did Robert Marren Solicitor not pay Michael Gavin and his sister Eileen Linney their share from the land Sale when he received the monies some 2 years prior?
Why did Robert Marren Solicitor not pay Michael Gavin and his sister Eileen Linney the correct amount for the Land Sale it was €12,500 each less than the agreed amount?
Why did Robert Marren ignore the well founded objections made by Michael Gavin based on the above and distribute the Estate assets instead of taking the matter before a Judge?
Why has Robert Marren Solicitor not provided the detailed bill of costs that he promised he would?
Why has Robert Marren Solicitor not handed the matter over to the costing master?
Why did Robert Marren deduct €3,500 of Eileen Linney for animals she never owned?
Why has Robert Marren Solicitor NOT provided an invoice for Willie Penrose? Was Penrose Paid?? The Estate was charged for his opinion.
Why did Robert Marren Solicitor hire an additional accountant to oversee the accounts?
Why after investigation does Tony Watson Solicitor of the Law Society of Ireland not find fault with Robert Marren Solicitor?
Why did Robert Marren Solicitor pay Tony McLynn Solicitor his handsome fee amount of €38,941.00 approximately a year in advance of closing?
Why does Robert Marren threaten that he will NOT pay John Glynn Solicitor while we seek justice in the matter?
Why is it difficult/impossible to find a Solicitor to help prepare Grounding Affidavits to report the matter to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal?
Why should Michael Gavin be forced into taking proceedings against Mr Robert Marren Solicitor for recovery of what he rightfully earned?
What authority did Robert Marren have to close the Estate, known there to be well founded objections. It is he Robert Marren not Michael Gavin who should have taken the Matter to Court.
This is Financial Elder Abuse of the highest order and shame on those who do not support Michael Gavin in his fight for Justice in this matter
“A nation’s greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.” ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Points to consider
- Robert B. Marren distributed the estate assets speedily over the Christmas period 2014 in the knowledge that 2 of the beneficiaries were actively attempting to retain a solicitor to act on their behalf to prevent him closing.
16/12/14 Michael Gavin to Marren Page 121
- Robert B. Marren threatened 2 of the elderly beneficiaries and coerced them to retain a solicitor to prevent him distributing the estate assets.
22/12/14 Marren to Gavin Page 123
- Tony Henry Tormeys Solicitors Athlone facilitated Marren by failing to undertake the instructions given him through John Glynn Solicitors to prevent Marren closing in isolation to well-founded objections?
14/01/2015 John Glynn Patrick Hogan & Co. Solicitors to Tony Henry Tormeys Solicitors Page 124
- Marren refused to award Michael Gavin the Department of Agriculture Grant monies.
- Delayed making the decision regarding Michael Gavin’s share in the farming profits and rightful share of the grant monies received from the Department of Agriculture until the very end with the draft distribution account that contained countless errors on 18th September, 2014.
- Michael Gavin was lied to countless times and led to believe that he would be refunded at closing by both Anne Sanford and Kathleen o’Keefe. Garda Tim Farrell Taughmaconnell was present on one occasion back in 2009 when Anne Sanford stated if Mikie needed money to feed the Farm animals he could go in to John Glynn Solicitor. The 2 sisters always assured Mikie that he would be compensated at closing.
- Why did Mr. Robert Marren, Solicitor, Mullingar make a decision in March 2013 to accept Michael Gavin’s claim to owning half the livestock and all the sheep?
14/03/13 Marren to Gavin & Linney, Page 59
But yet for no logical reason refused to award Michael Gavin the net amount €116,789.11 due to me out of the Single Payment Entitlements representing my ½ share in the profits from farming the lands, which was also sent to Mr. Robert Marren, Solicitor, Mullingar on the 5th of December, 2015 for his consideration.
05/12/14 Michael Gavin to Marren Page 115
- Marren awarded Elderly Michael Gavin and his widowed sister €12,500 plus interest less than what they were entitled to, and also held on to the funds from the land sale for nearly 2 years for no good reason.
05/07/13 Marren to Gavin & Linney enclosing copy letter dated 3rd of July, 2013 from T & N McLyim, Solicitors Page 65
11/11/14 Michael Gavin to Robert Marren Page 94
11/11/14 Marren to Gavin Page 100
05/12/14 Michael Gavin to Marren Page 111
- Marren deduct €3,764.91 from Eileen Linney for Animals she never owned.
11/11/14 Marren to Gavin Page 100
- Robert B. Marren did not provide a “detailed bill of costs” despite repeated persistent written requests.
In the letter (11/11/14 Marren to Eileen Linney incorporating detailed reply to Michael Gavin’s letter of the 17th of October, 2014;) point 4 (b) Marren states that “a Bill of costs will be furnished with revised Distribution Account”
11/11/14 Marren to Gavin page 96
Lie – He never did!
Several written requests were made to Marren for a “detailed bill of costs”
17/10/14 Michael Gavin to Marren Page 91 4(b)
06/02/2015 Gavin & Linney to Tony Henry Tormeys Solicitor Page 126 (4)
11/04/2015 Linney to Marren Page 129 (4)
13/04/2015 Gavin to Marren Page 130 (6)
19/05/2015 Linney to Marren Page 133
09/05/2015 Gavin to Marren Page 137
17/06/2015 Linney to Marren Page 143
We are of the opinion that the devil is in the detail and that is why Marren refuses to furnish a “detailed bill of cost” for his excessive fee of €40,892.53
- Marren squandered the estate assets and hired an additional accountant to oversee the accounts
- Marren did not seek our approval for Damien Hannigan & Company Limited Chartered Accountant, Mullingar. Why was he hired against our explicate wishes to oversee the accounts of Catherine O’Conner. He charged in our opinion an excessive fee of €8,751.45 which we consider to be extremely expensive and an unnecessary expense. Although he was hired to oversee the accounts his fee is in excess of Catherine O’Conner’s John Glynn, Solicitor, Patrick Hogan & Co. did not put the Estate to the additional expense of hiring an additional Accountant so it begs the question why did Robert B. Marren?
15/11/13 Damien Hannigan & Co. Limited, Account of fees due page 107
- Marren refused to provide the correct invoice for Catherine O’Conner. Her invoice states Total Amount Due €584.25 while Cash Account dated 18th July, 2014 “Fees paid to Catherine O’ Connor €6,857.25.
- We are of the opinion that Marren refuses to provide the correct invoice for Catherine O’Connor because it was she who did the work and Marren’s accountant’s invoice will highlight the work duplication.
- The Estate was charged €1,230 for Willie Penrose’s opinion but no invoice was provided despite repeated persistent written requests.
- Marren did not seek approval for seeking William Penrose B.L opinion.
18/07/14 Robert Marren & Co., Cash Account page 110
- Despite numerous written requests No Invoice for William Penrose B.L. or explanation of why his opinion was sought.
06/02/2015 Gavin & Linney to Tony Henry Tormeys Solicitor page 126 (4)
11/04/2015 Linney to Marren Requesting answers to 5 questions page 129
- A conversation on social media raises suspicions that Willie Penrose was not Paid for his “opinion”.
26/07/2015 Twitter Conversation with “Paul1878” Page 172
- No Invoice for John Dolan Auctioneer and breakdown of the fee he was paid was provided
- Marren did not seek approval for John Dolan Auctioneer Ballinasloe Co. Galway.
- The auctioneer John Dolan did advertise the auction extensively with full and half page ads in newspapers.
- We would argue that based on the amount of interest and bids made at the auction that these ads served no purpose other than to promote John Dolans Auctioneering service as a whole. A free mention in the local parish newsletter would have sufficed.
- T & N McLynn Solicitors, Athlone summon (special) Mike Gavin and Eileen Linney to the High Court attempting to sell his home along with the farm and failed after three days squandering estate assets with fees in the High Court.
Bearing in mind that the beneficiaries and their Solicitor T & N McLynn were well aware that Michael Gavin was entitled to live in the home for the rest of his days per his father’s will which they were all furnished with a copy of.
- T & N McLynn Solicitors prepared and his sister Kathleen O Keefe tricked Michael Gavin into signing their lease agreement on 27th August without providing Michael Gavin an opportunity to read over same carefully or to consider the matter. Consequently Michael Gavin was forced to get legal advice in order to amend a number of the conditions including his agreement to “having fully restored the lands to grassland by ploughing and reseeding by no later than the 31st of July 2015.”
- Peter D. Jones THREATEN Elderly Michael Gavin Not to PEACEFUL Protest outside Robert Marren Solicitors Office
01/04/2016 Peter D. Jones State Solicitor to 84 Year Old Michael Gavin Page 181
- Peter D. Jones State Solicitor has yet to respond to Elderly Michael Gavin’s request for 7 pieces of evidence and answers to 20 questions.
12/04/2016 Michael Gavin to State Solicitor Peter D. Jones Page 183
- Robert Marren, Solicitor allowed confusion to arise in relation to the exact disbursement of funds held by him.
- Grossly delayed, without reasonable explanation, the administration of the estate, the deceased person having died in 2005 some ten years ago.
- Robert Marren, Solicitor showed a complete disregard for the interests of the beneficiaries, whom Mr. Marren, Solicitor, knew to be elderly, and by his conduct is depriving two of the beneficiaries, of the enjoyment of their share in the estate.
- Accounting mistakes and lack of clarity.
- Marren Solicitor, showed a complete disregard for my instructions known me to be elderly (83 years old), and by his conduct has deprived my sister Eileen Linney and I the opportunity to have our well founded objections addressed prior to his swift closing.
- Marren threatened us that he would distribute the Estate unless we engaged a Solicitor to issue proceedings to prevent him. Although we did attempt same in vain, it now transpires that Solicitors generally do not challenge each other in this manner. We were informed by a Solicitor after the Estate assets were distributed that Solicitors would not challenge Mr. Marren as he was the son in law of a prominent retired Solicitor.